A Nation Gone Mobile: 10 Mind-Blowing Facts about Mobile Usage
No one was especially surprised when CNN announced in January that, for the first time, smartphones and tablets had overtaken PCs for internet access – least of all millennial, a whopping 76% of whom own smartphones compared to about 50% for the entire population. That same report indicated that about 50% of responders won’t come back to any website that doesn’t work on their mobile phones.
What most Americans (and many marketers) don’t know are the facts which underlie the big statistics.
Here are 10 mind blowing facts about mobile usage:
1. The total number of smartphones in the U.S. now stands at 143 million. That doesn’t include tablets, the number of which has now exceeded 71 million.
2. It’s not a zero sum game—mobile devices haven’t merely replaced existing internet access; they’ve increased it, by close to 100% just since 2010
3. For Facebook visitors, about 20% (almost 190 million) use that site only from their mobile devices. Almost one third of Facebook’s total advertising revenue is derived from mobile devices.
4. For users of smartphones between the ages of 18 and 44, about 25% “can’t recall the last time their smartphone wasn’t next to them.”
5. The amount of money which advertisers spent advertising on mobile devices increased by 100% from 2012 to 2013 (from $4.4 billion to $8.5 billion). About 50% of those expenditures were on search advertising.
6. According to iMedia Connection, ads posted on mobile devices far outperform online ads, by a factor of between 4 and 5 times.
7. Of Americans who use mobile devices to access the internet, about one in four said that this is the only way they access the internet.
8. People who access the internet with tablets spend more money online than those who access the internet with PCs—by a factor of about 50%.
9. Search engine rankings are more important on mobile devices than on PCs. Because screens are smaller, surfers are more likely to click through to the first, second or third result.
10. Business to business sellers are increasing their marketing on mobile devices. About 50% now sell through a combination of apps and online stores, and some 75% are planning to go e-commerce on mobile devices by the end of this year.
It’s clear that the world is going mobile, and that smart marketing professionals are following suit.
If your business hasn’t already jumped in, now would be a great time to do so.
bobile makes it easy to create an app for your business that will work on more than 1,100 mobile devices at once, effortlessly.
To learn more about creating an app for your business, contact us today or simply visit our website www. bobile.com